Re: Re: indeterminate expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37671] Re: [mg37606] Re: indeterminate expression
  • From: DWCantrell at aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:14:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In a message dated 11/07/2002 15:14:42 GMT Standard Time, andrzej at tuins.ac.jp
writes:

>  I am not "strongly" against your suggestion, but I am wondering if
>  there may not be situation when someone would find it inconvenient.
>  For example, consider the following (admittedly rather contrived)
>  example.

I have nothing against contrived examples.  :-)

>  Suppose you have an expression p=a1^n1*a2^n2*... where all ai
>  and ni are functions of x. Setting x to 0 and checking that you get a
>  non-zero answer you can now conclude that a1,a2,a3 ... are all
>  non-zero at x=0.

Not quite. ComplexInfinity is certainly a non-zero answer, and of
course 0^(-1) gives ComplexInfinity. I suppose you had intended to
say "...get a _finite_ non-zero answer..." Then such a conclusion
would be valid now in Mathematica, but would not be valid if the
change I suggested were to be implemented. So the point you've
raised is worth considering.

FWIW, going slightly "off on a tangent" (since it's not directly related
to the 0^0 issue), finding that p=a1^n1*a2^n2*...*aN^nN _does_ equal 0
does _not_ allow us to conclude that some ai must be 0 (since, for
example, (1/2)^(+Infinity) = 0).

Note that, if infinities were outlawed (which I certainly do not
recommend!!), then we would be able to say neatly that,
if all ni are positive,

  a1^n1*a2^n2*...*aN^nN = 0  iff  some ai = 0.

It looks nice. But the price for getting it is too high.

David