SetDirectory and memory management

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37669] SetDirectory and memory management
  • From: "SEPULVEDA,ARIEL (HP-PuertoRico,ex1)" <ariel.sepulveda at hp.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:14:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi there:

The function SetDirectory takes some memory every time it is executed.  Is
there a way to refresh the memory after evaluating SetDirectory?  The
following program shows the problem.  Note how the memory keeps increasing
whenever the command is evaluated even though the DirectoryStack is being
emptied and the Share[] command is being evaluated.  This is a very
important issue to me since I have an application that runs in real time and
sets hundreds of directories per minute.
Thanks for your help.

$HistoryLength=0;
While[True,
    SetDirectory["c:\\"];