Re: Open notebooks created in Window with Macintosh computers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37660] Re: [mg37638] Open notebooks created in Window with Macintosh computers
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:13:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Try opening the file from within Mathematica, using the open command,
instead of double-clicking on the file's icon.

When mac files are sent as a plain attachment, it loses the creator
codes that in OS 9 and before are needed for the Mac to figure out what
program to open when the user double clicks on the file. In OS X,
either the creator code or the extension will work. (Of course, the PC
does not make the special invisible file in the first place.)

If your professor sees a generic icon for the .nb file, he will have to
open the file from within Mathematica, or use any of several different
utility programs to change the creator code to 'Mathematica'. I believe
that there are utilities that will automatically assign the file's
'owner'  based on the extension, but I have no examples.

george