Re: Open notebooks created in Window with Macintosh computers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37677] Re: [mg37638] Open notebooks created in Window with Macintosh computers
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:15:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Doris S. wrote:

> I created notebooks with Mathematica 4 on a Windows PC. I stored it
> with "Save As..." as Name.nb . Then I sent it by email as an
> attachment to a Professor of mine. He is using a Macintosh
> (Mathematica 4 / 4.1). When he saves the attachment on his hard disk
> (as Name.nb) Mathematica doesn´t recognize this file and doesn´t open
> it. Changing the name of the stored file to Name.txt and then again to
> Name.nb solves this problem, the notebook can be opened.
>
> How do I have to save the notebook or send the attachment that the
> notebook can be opened at once without renaming the extension?

I suspect that your e-mail software is labeling the attachment with the
generic APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM MIME content type/subtype, which usually
has no default action associated with it because it refers to what appears
to be unknown data.

The safest thing you can do is to ensure that both your and your
colleague's e-mail client software is configured to associate Mathematica
notebooks with the APPLICATION/MATHEMATICA MIME content type/subtype.

On your side, that means making sure that the extension .nb is associated
with APPLICATION/MATHEMATICA.  On the colleague's side, that means making
sure that attachments with the type APPLICATION/MATHEMATICA are opened by
the Mathematica front end.

You will need to consult the documentation for your e-mail software to
figure out how MIME types are configured.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.