Re: Kalman Filter &Smoother, Subspace Identification

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37667] Re: [mg37643] Kalman Filter &Smoother, Subspace Identification
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at wiwi.uni-regensburg.de>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 02:14:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Roy,
I have used the TimeSeries Kalman Filter functions
about 3 Years ago, but not extensively.

The functions are multivariate and support abstract
definition of the state space system (i.e. very
general nonlinear structures of the model).
I cannot tell you whether it is fast since my problems
were rather small. Of course, it is possible to
conduct likelihood estimation, but I cannot tell
whether this is fast. You have to use FindMinimum...

Of course, the code is available, since TimeSeries is
simply a large Package. However, it may be
complex and you probably need at least intermediate
Mathematica experience to understand the stuff.

I don't know what you mean with subspace
identification.

Best regards,
	Johannes Ludsteck

On 7 Nov 2002 at 6:41, Roy Mendelssohn wrote:

> I know this question arises fronm time to time, but has anyone
> implemented a modern, multivariate Kalman filter and smoother?  By
> modern, I mean there have been a lot of improvements to the algorithm in
> the last few years that both spedd up and complement the computations.
>
> On a related matter, does anyone know anything about the Time Series
> package form Wolfram, and especially it's Kalman algorithm (my inquries
> to Wolfram have produced a fact sheet and not much else, and the fact
> sheet doesn't tell you very much ).  Is the algorithm univariate of
> multivariate, is it readily tied in some how with an optimization
> algorithm so that it can be used for likelihood estimation, is the code
> avaiable if you purchase it sothat it can be modified?
>
> And finally, has anyone implemented subspace identification algorithms,
> such as those in the System identification Toolbox?
>
> TIA,
>
> Roy Mendelssohn

Johannes Ludsteck
Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre