RE: problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37720] RE: [mg37689] problem
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:30:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Teo,

One of the "features" of Mathematica is that it does a lot of elementary
evaluation and doesn't show you the steps. In some cases it uses internal
methods and you wouldn't even what to see the steps.

Still, it is possible to do calculations in a more controlled manner. There
are a couple of notebooks and a package at my web site that may help you.
The StepByStepEquations notebook shows how to solve equations step by step
using pure functions and map. The ExpressionManipulation package and the
accompanying EvaluationTutorial notebook has routines for evaluating
expressions in a controlled manner. There are many examples from addition of
fractions to integration by parts.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Teo [mailto:faca_kod_vladi at mojavlada.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

How do i get mathematica 4 to show me step-by-step how it solved my input?i
want to see the whole process and can't find any option to enable this.
 the other question is how can i make it show me the solution but in a more
"nicer" form. i mean, to be written like i would write it for my homework.
example: i would never write 5^3 but i would write it like 5 and a small 3
in the upper right corner of the number 5. i think you all know what i mean.
thanks a lot,
Teo