Re: problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37697] Re: [mg37689] problem
  • From: Vladimir Bondarenko <vvb at mail.strace.net>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:28:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Teo" <faca_kod_vladi at mojavlada.com> wrote on Friday, November 08, 2002, 3:16:25 AM :

T> How do i get mathematica 4 to show me step-by-step how it solved my input?i
T> want to see the whole process and can't find any option to enable this.

What you are asking for is an age-long dream of many lazy-bones
including me and you ;-)

Actually, the algorithms and heuristics behind the scene of symbolic
computations yield human unreadable intermediate data roughly equivalent
the omnibus edition of Balzac... or even far much bulkier! There is even
a special tech term, intermediate expression swell, to denote this biggest
problem in Computer Algebra.

Usually, even for many seemingly innocuous inputs there should be done
formidable, massive, large scale calculations... which are hidden so not
to confuse us the users.

To see the whole process? The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

Sure not. However, to produce such the expert system you want would
require a quite sizable investment... That will run to a pretty penny,
and up to now, AFAIK, the entrepreneurs seems to be reluctant enough
to tread this thorny path...

However, not all is so pitch-dark!

Below comes a quotation from the Calculus Derivative and Integral site
at http://www.calc101.com/

   Day or night, from anywhere, you can get calculus problems solved in
   seconds, automatically. You get all the steps including the final
   answer. Each step is explained in plain English, just like the
   examples in your textbook. You see it all in standard math notation,
   just like your teacher at the blackboard.

But I am prepared to admit I find it difficult to name the second URL
of that ilk 8-(

T>  the other question is how can i make it show me the solution but in a more
T> "nicer" form. i mean, to be written like i would write it for my homework.
T> example: i would never write 5^3 but i would write it like 5 and a small 3
T> in the upper right corner of the number 5. i think you all know what i mean.

Use TraditionalForm.

{5^3, D[f[z], z], Integrate[f[z], z]} // TraditionalForm

Best wishes,

Vladimir Bondarenko

Email:  vvb at mail.strace.net

Web  :  http://www.CAS-testing.org/ (under development, 95% ready)