Re: more info: Open notebooks created in Window with Macintosh computers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37694] Re: [mg37670] more info: Open notebooks created in Window with Macintosh computers
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:28:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think the reason for what you have observed is this. Classic MacOS
(before MacOS X) natively does not use extensions at all. Instead of
extensions it uses Mac specific information called "file type"and "file
creator". Normally Mathematica for classic Mac OS will not open a file
unless it has a the type "TEXT" and the creator "OMEG". However,
classic MacOS includes a control panel called "File Exchange", whose
purpose is to allow Mac users open to open files created on PC's. In
the File Exchange control panel you can assign which file types and
creators should correspond to which extensions. I think the problem you
are describing arises because the notebook you are sending by e-mail is
encoded and the Mac fails to identify it as a text file. So changing
the extension to .txt and then to .nb probably makes it possible for it
to get both the file type  and the file creator right. When you
transfer the notebook using a Zip there is no encoding so the problem
does not arise.
I think your problem can probably be solved by suitably changing the
settings in File Exchange or the settings in your mail program for
encoding attachments or perhaps both.
However, I have stopped classic MacOS quite a long time ago and no
longer have Mathematica for classic MacOS installed, so it would be a
lot of trouble to try to investigate this problem more precisely. In
any case it sounds like you may have already found a satisfactory
enough solution.

These problems do not arise on Mac OS X because it uses extensions (as
well as by creators and types, for compatibility with classic Mac OS).

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/
http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/