How to generate synthetic econometric time series?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37832] How to generate synthetic econometric time series?
  • From: ginak <gina02122000 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:11:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Supposing that I have some historical econometric time series data
(e.g. the price of copper from 1960 to 2001), how do I generate
synthetic time series that have all the same statistical properties
(including heteroskedasticity) as the historical data?  Is there a
standard recipe for doing this sort of thing?

I'm not interested in forecasting; I just want to generate synthetic
data.

I've heard of ARCH/GARCH, but to my (very skimpy) knowledge these
techniques focus on modeling volatility (a time-dependant variance?),
which seems to me insufficient to generate synthetic data.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

Can anyone recommend a book that discusses the mechanics of generating
synthetic econometric data?  If the book's discussion uses Mathematica
all the better.

Thanks!

g.