Re: Literate Programming (Was: Comments are KILLING me)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37821] Re: Literate Programming (Was: Comments are KILLING me)
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:11:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Selwyn

> You missed the point completely. You can write Mathematica code in a
> text editor, and you can make it as "literate" as you like!

That's a joke ?

With literate programming you combine the documentation and the code
in a single document. In the comments and the description you can use
any plain TeX command. Have a look at

http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/dirk.pdf

you can't do this with a simple text editor alone.
Notice that the main algorithm is human readable and only if
one really like to see what <Estimate the local error@> does
one can look at 10 lines of C-code :-)

Even for very simple C/C++ programs I prefer CWEB and
I love the system since I discover it 8 years ago.
Donald Knuth says that "literate programming" is the
best thing that came out of his TeX project and his favorite
programming language is -- CWEB

Regards
  Jens