Why is importing the table into Mathematica so slow???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37864] Why is importing the table into Mathematica so slow???
  • From: jiaguo at uiuc.edu (Jia Guo)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:36:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I currently have such a problem in Mathematica:

I have a matrix of size 750*750. It is in a file and I will import the
file to Mathematica using the command: g = Import ["matrix.dat",
"Table"].

However, it took me over 2 hours to import and display the numbers in
the notebook. But the transpose and reverse operations to the matrix
are really fast: 4-5 seconds. I translated the matrix into a graph and
when I was going to export it, the same problem happened. It slowed
down again.

Does anybody know what should I do to avoid the big overhead?

Thank you!

Jia