Re: How to generate synthetic econometric time series?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37913] Re: How to generate synthetic econometric time series?
  • From: "AngleWyrm" <no_spam_anglewyrm at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:51:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at wiwi.uni-regensburg.de> wrote in
message news:ar2591$g3u$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> [2] MathGroup is the false address for such questions.
> In MathGroup I expect questions like: I have a problem
> and know how to solve it, but have problems
> implementing it in Mathematica.
> Your question should be asked to statisticians,
> time series guys, or econometricians.

As you quoted:
> On 14 Nov 2002 at 6:11, ginak wrote:
> > I'm not interested in forecasting; I just want to generate synthetic
> > data.
[clip]
> > Can anyone recommend a book that discusses the mechanics of generating
> > synthetic econometric data?  If the book's discussion uses Mathematica
> > all the better.

Please consider the possibility that it is inherently impossible to separate
the knowledge of mathematics and the knowledge of using the tool Mathematica
into mutually exclusive categories. For a person to become good at using
Mathematica, one also has to learn mathematics; the beautiful part is that
Mathematica is the perfect tool for discovery, understanding, and learning
advanced math.

If you have knowledge, then share. If you don't, hey we're all here to drink
from the fountain of understanding.