Re: Setting Options Back to Default Values? (and other graphics queries)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38038] Re: Setting Options Back to Default Values? (and other graphics queries)
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:50:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

    Thanks for your response to my queries, including

> 1) [How to] Save and restore the default options.
>
> saveListPlotOptions = Options[ListPlot];
> SetOptions[ListPlot, Sequence @@ saveListPlotOptions];

    That's useful -- and it makes the point that in a situation
    like this  you have to use the "Sequence" command in front
    of the list of options.

    But, I'm still surprised there's no way in Mathematic to, in
    essence, reset the kernel to its initial default startup state
    -- to, in essence, "reload the kernel from disk" or, in essence,
    *really* "Remove" everything that's happened since the most
    recent startup.

    There used to be the "CleanSlate" package to do something
    akin to this, but it wasn't actually all that "clean", and I don't
    know if it's still around.

> 2) Within Mathematica and a single plot you can use the TextStyle option.
>
>     TextStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Helvetica", FontSize -> 12,
>         FontWeight -> "Bold"}];
>
> or for a whole notebook
>
> $TextStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Helvetica", FontSize -> 12, FontWeight ->
> "Bold"}

    But neither of these solves the "turn off Operator Substitution"
    problem, do they? -- and that's the aspect that I'm after.

> 3)Use the AxesFront option from the FilledPlot package.
>
> I have always maintained that AxesFront should be a general Graphics option
> and not buried in the FilledPlot package.

    I'd agree with that!

    Thanks again.

"Power tends to corrupt.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    Lord Acton (1834-1902)
"Dependence on advertising tends to corrupt.  Total dependence
    on advertising  corrupts totally." (today's equivalent)