Re: help with Export[...,"EPS"]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38019] Re: [mg38004] help with Export[...,"EPS"]
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at wiwi.uni-regensburg.de>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:48:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Borut,
The problem is that Mathematica does not export
proprietary fonts. The solution depends on which
Mathematica version you use.

If you use Mathematica 4.0 or 4.1, you can download
paul hinton's emmathfnt tool which manages inclusion
of the fonts or you can configure ghostscript so that
it puts Mathematica fonts into the graphics files.

If you use 4.2.0, give it up, since font export isn't
possible any more for the unexperienced user. This is
because the emmathfnt tool does not work with the new
font naming scheme. And neither the emmathfnt tool nor
the support isn't updated. I wrote a request to paul
hinton who explained me the issues involved in a
friendly and clear reply and referred me to the
wolfram support team. Now I am waiting about one week
for an answer from support at wolfram.com.

If you are an experienced user (with a c compiler
available), try to adapt the source code of emmathfnt
and recompile it. I tried to do this but I failed,
since I don't understand the font naming scheme and
other details.

If you use version 4.2.1, you can configure font
export in the preferences dialog (or give it as an
option).
[Wolfram research seems to have realized *finally*
that eps font export is an important feature demanded
by many users. It is surprising that this process
lasted some years, since EPS font export questions
were a FAQ in MathGroup.]

If you have premier service, simply obtain the updated
version.

Best regards,
	Johannes Ludsteck

On 25 Nov 2002 at 1:57, Borut L wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I am generating Mathematica images for inserting them into TeX, problems
> occur, like
> f(t) seen as fHtL on EPS image in GSView, FontFamily->"Trebuchet MS" (or
> Helvetica) not taken into account, ...
>
> Can you direct me to any relevant material on the internet, book about ways
> to tackle this problems?
>

> Thank you,
>

> Borut Levart

Johannes Ludsteck