Re: help with Export[...,"EPS"]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38037] Re: help with Export[...,"EPS"]
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:50:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> As I am generating Mathematica images for inserting them into TeX, problems
> occur, like
> f(t) seen as fHtL on EPS image in GSView, FontFamily->"Trebuchet MS" (or
> Helvetica) not taken into account, ...
>
> Can you direct me to any relevant material on the internet, book about ways
> to tackle this problems?

Note to Wolfram:

As messages about this particular "gotcha" keep appearing and
reappearing time after time after time (from me among others), perhaps
it's time to implement a more long-term solution to this whole "Operator
Substitution" hassle than just repeatedly replying to these newsgroup
messages.

It may be too late to change the default setting on the Operator
Substitution option -- although my view would be that if a user
explicitly specifies FontFamily->xxx, the user has stated what she
wants, and Operator Substitution should definitely be automatically
turned off.

In addition:

1)  Add at least a brief notation on this issue in the Help messages for
TextStyle and other places, so useres will at least learn of the
Operator Substitution problem and have a pointer to look for more
detailed info.

2)  *Much* upgraded documentation within the Help system of the
(presently very mysterious) "PrivateFont" and "OperatorSubstitution"
options

"Power tends to corrupt.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    Lord Acton (1834-1902)
"Dependence on advertising tends to corrupt.  Total dependence
    on advertising  corrupts totally." (today's equivalent)