copying cells in Mathematica 4.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg38057] copying cells in Mathematica 4.2
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 14:07:56 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am having an extremely frustrating time with one "feature" of
Mathematica 4.2 which I swear was not present in earlier versions. It
find is quite dreadful and yet none seems to have complained about it
so far  so that I feel that perhaps I missing something obvious.
Anyway, this is the problem. I have two notebooks with a large number
of cells each. I want to copy some cells from one notebook to the
other. I am sure in earlier versions it used to be possible to select
several contiguous cells  by shift clicking and then paste them into
another notebook. You would then get several cells of the same type as
you copied. However now (at least on Mac OS X) this seems impossible.
What happens is that if you select a several cells or a cell group and
past into another notebook you get a messy expression contained in a
single cell from which it does not appear possible to easily recover
the original cells. I have tired using various Copy As but have not
found anything that works. The only thing that works is copying and
pasting individual cells, which is of course very time consuming.
Is this also what happens on other platforms? I am sure it was not the
case in earlier versions, and if so was this an intentional change? It
so it seems to me as bad an idea as I have come across in many years.
Can anyone explain?

Andrzej Kozlowski