How much graphics RAM?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg36992] How much graphics RAM?
- From: Murray Eisenberg <murraye at attbi.com>
- Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 05:01:38 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Mathematics & Statistics, Univ. of Mass./Amherst
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <200209300703.DAA07168@smc.vnet.net>
- Reply-to: murray at math.umass.edu
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
We are about to order new PCs for a university student lab in which
Mathematica will be installed. Of course they will be using 2D and 3D
graphics -- plots of surfaces, e.g. Sooner or later students will want
to rotate such plots, too.
An unresolved issue is how much graphics RAM to get. On existing
machines we typically have 64MB. But for the PCs we are looking at,
manufacturer's limits on graphics RAM, rather than cost, seems to limit
us to 32 MB.
Is 32 MB adequate not just now, but likely to be adequate as well for
the near future (say, a 3- to 5-year equipment lifetime)?
Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01375
Prev by Date:
Which fonts do I need to make Linux Stop Chirping?
Next by Date:
RE: RE: Mathematica stole my X so I had to kill it
Previous by thread:
Re: Which fonts do I need to make Linux Stop Chirping?
Next by thread:
RE: How much graphics RAM?