How much graphics RAM?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg36992] How much graphics RAM?
- From: Murray Eisenberg <murraye at attbi.com>
- Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 05:01:38 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Mathematics & Statistics, Univ. of Mass./Amherst
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <200209300703.DAA07168@smc.vnet.net>
- Reply-to: murray at math.umass.edu
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
We are about to order new PCs for a university student lab in which Mathematica will be installed. Of course they will be using 2D and 3D graphics -- plots of surfaces, e.g. Sooner or later students will want to rotate such plots, too. An unresolved issue is how much graphics RAM to get. On existing machines we typically have 64MB. But for the PCs we are looking at, manufacturer's limits on graphics RAM, rather than cost, seems to limit us to 32 MB. Is 32 MB adequate not just now, but likely to be adequate as well for the near future (say, a 3- to 5-year equipment lifetime)? -- Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu Mathematics & Statistics Dept. Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H) University of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W) 710 North Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 01375