The Essence of Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37134] The Essence of Mathematica
  • From: Steven <hattons at speakeasy.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 05:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm attempting to identify the essential aspects of Mathematica.  I believe the
place to start is with the 'functional operations'.  I'm seeking the
'basis' of Mathematica.  Kind of the orthonormal subset of functionality
which can be used to derive all the other.  I'm also trying to be
pragmatic.  I'm not trying to reinvent Mathematica, I'm just trying to understand
the invention that already exists.

If anyone is interested in seeing what I've gathered so far, I have a
notebook in both HTML, and Mathematica (4.2, if that matters) notebook format
available here:

http://public.globalsymmetry.com/proprietary/com/wri/notebooks/with-gif/essential/essential.nb
http://public.globalsymmetry.com/proprietary/com/wri/notebooks/with-gif/essential/index.html

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing these. The sysadmin is
kind of new at running a DNS server.  The server may go down for a while at
sometime in the near future for an upgrade (SuSE Linux 8.0 -> 8.1).
Ideally that should take about an hour... and then there's reality...

What I'm hoping for is some constructive feedback regarding my selection of
functions.  I am aware that I've neglected the more advanced use of these
functions such as level specification.  I'm trying to keep things as simple
as possible.  I'm not looking for the obfuscated Mathematica challenge.  Not just
yet.  I'm seeking the examples which, if correctly understood, will make
other Mathematica functionality fall into place.  I believe there is also a set of
'procedural operators' which can properly be treated separately.  I hope to
get to them soon.

I know I've received some very good feedback on other questions I've asked
on the news group.  I owe people responses to their thoughtful input.  I
hope to address these soon.  I am very grateful to all who have responded
to my questions.

STH