XML and the DTDs and etc.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg37136] XML and the DTDs and etc.
  • From: Steven <hattons at>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 05:05:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm trying to get a handle on Mathematica's XML capabilities.  I'm finding a few
things to be a bit confusing.  One of these is where the really is.  Another
point of confusion is how exactly the rendering in the browser is expected
to take place.  If needs be, I can spin up my own CSS.  Does Mathematica provide
CSS for MathML or NBML?  I've character mentioned entity references before,
but I still haven't found an answer. What I've found here seems
inconsistent with what Mathematica chose for the character entity reference for an
imaginary number:

This is what Mathematica produced for a complex number:

   <mtext> </mtext>

   <mtext> </mtext>
    <mtext> </mtext>

    <mtext> </mtext>

If I understand the, the imaginary
number symbol should be &#2111; which is a black letter capital 'I'.  That
doesn't seem correct to me. I'm currently stumbling around in here looking
for a possible clue as to what I should expect:

Has anybody worked with this?