RE: lissajous

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37152] RE: [mg37133] lissajous
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 05:56:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve,

Increase the PlotPoints.

ParametricPlot[{Sin[t], Sin[2t]}, {t, 0, 1000Pi}, PlotPoints -> 2000];

But, generally one wouldn't want to make the t domain greater than required
to plot the complete figure, in this case 0 to 2 Pi.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Steve Story [mailto:sbstory at unity.ncsu.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

When using Parametric Plot to make closed Lissajous curves, it's best not to
take the parameter too far. for instance the code
ParametricPlot[{Sin[t], Sin[2t]}, {t, 0, 10Pi}]

looks much the same if you go to 20Pi or 30 Pi. But if you go too far, say,
1000Pi, the curve will stray so much that it can appear, deceptively, to be
an open Lissajous curve, filling the rectangle. I don't understand how it's
doing this. I assume the reason has to do with machine precision, but can
anyone tell me in a little detail what's happening here?

thanks,
--

 Steve Story
 Polymer Research Group