Re: Newbie mathematica question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37176] Re: Newbie mathematica question
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:17:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[My previous reply seems to have gone astray - at least it has not come back
to me.
Here is a slightly edited repeat]

You have computed

  f[t_] = {t + Sqrt[3] Sin[t], 2 Cos[t], t Sqrt[3] - Sin[t]};

and then found

    f'

        {1 + Sqrt[3]*Cos[#1], -2*Sin[#1], Sqrt[3] - Cos[#1]} &

To get the function for the norm of the derivative we can use

    norm = Evaluate/@(Simplify/@(Sqrt[#.#]&/@(f')))

        2*Sqrt[2] &

We map the usual functions for calclulating and  simplifying the norm inside
Function[.] (which is the full form of  (.)& and then map the function
Evaluation to make the result evaluate -- this is needed since Function has
the attribute HoldAll.
Please note that the parentheses are essential.

--
Allan

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting