Replace variable in a function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg37193] Replace variable in a function
  • From: lcfg3 at (Luis Flórez)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I´m new, so I´m sorry if the question is so easy, I really think that
is easy, but I don´t know how to do it.

I have this:

Y=3a + 4a^2

and the program show me this:
3(x-n+m) + 4(x-n+m)^2

or, something like that, the problem is that I want the program show
me Y in function of b, or sometimes in function of a, something like

Y=3(x-b) + 4(x-b)^2

Y=3a + 4a^2