Checking the Results of NDSolve

I use NDSolve to approximate a 6-dimensional and highly non-linear
dynamic system numerically.

QUESTION: What are usual (and simple) techniques to check the
reliability of the resulting numerical solution?

So far I tried to use another solution algorithm by switching the
Option "Method" from "Method->Automatic" to "Method->RungeKutta".
Apart from numerical differences, the solution qualitatively remained
unaffected (I am mainly interested in the qualitative characteristics
of the solution).

I would be grateful for any hint!