Mathematica 9 is now available
Services & Resources / Wolfram Forums
-----
 /
MathGroup Archive
2002
*January
*February
*March
*April
*May
*June
*July
*August
*September
*October
*November
*December
*Archive Index
*Ask about this page
*Print this page
*Give us feedback
*Sign up for the Wolfram Insider

MathGroup Archive 2002

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: line wrapping and good notebook style

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg37429] Re: [mg37412] line wrapping and good notebook style
  • From: Shakti Shrivastava <shaktis at student.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:40:56 -0500 (EST)
  • References: <NDBBJGNHKLMPLILOIPPOOEEHDEAA.djmp@earthlink.net>
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David,

Thank you so much for all the comments and foremost for taking the time
to reply. I sincerely appreciate all your tips and mostly already follow all
of them.

However regarding this:

> But I know that in my work it often happens that after I use Return
Mathematica indents
> when I don't want it to. This is because Mathematica does not yet know if
> the new line is a continuation of the previous statement. But when I begin
> typing the new line Mathematica snaps it back to the left margin. Have you
> tried that? (I also think there is some variation in Mathematica's
behavior
> here in various versions.)

well that's a (very) slight problem coz then line (vertical) spacing is
inconsistent.
I assume that when you say

>> But when I begin typing the new line Mathematica snaps it back to the
left
>> margin.

you mean you start typing in a new cell. In doing so Mathematica produces a
line-
break space greater than what is created by hitting "return" on the
keyboard.
That's the main reason I type in a new "cell" to get correct left alignment,
and then
merge the cell back to get the correct (vertical) line spacing. Do you see
what I
am saying?

I wanted to know if there was a way to avoid this behavior. I mean work
around
this in a more "organized" way if you will.

Also do you know anyway of inserting footnotes? I really make use of
footnotes in
my work .But currently don't know of a way to use them.

Thanks once again for taking time out to reply to me. I really appreciate
it.

 - Sincerely
   Shakti.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
<mathgroup at smc.vnet.net>
Subject: [mg37429] RE: [mg37412] line wrapping and good notebook style


> Shakti,
>
> Your method of doing multiple steps in a single cell is a good one.
> Especially, it is a way to group related steps and use % and %% without
> ambiguity as to what they stand for. I was trying to reproduce an example
of
> what you are talking about and couldn't come up with a good one. But I
know
> that in my work it often happens that after I use Return Mathematica
indents
> when I don't want it to. This is because Mathematica does not yet know if
> the new line is a continuation of the previous statement. But when I begin
> typing the new line Mathematica snaps it back to the left margin. Have you
> tried that? (I also think there is some variation in Mathematica's
behavior
> here in various versions.)
>
> You ask about good style for a notebook. This is, of course, a matter of
> taste but I see an many dreadful notebooks so this gives me an excuse to
set
> forth some of my opinions.
>
> 1) The main purpose of a Mathematica notebook that you are sending to some
> other person is to communicate your ideas and knowledge in as clear a
manner
> as possible. Anything that contributes to clarity is good, and anything
that
> detracts from it is bad. Remember that the reader is seldom going to spend
> as much time reading the notebook as you spent making it. You have only a
> limited shot at another person's mind.
>
> 2) Good notebooks are usually a fine mixture of Text cells, Input/Output
> cells and graphics. The explanatory Text cells are equally as important as
> the calculations. And for explanatory text use Text cells, not group
> headings or Input cells. Text cells wrap, hyphenate and you can do spell
> checking on them, and you can also include mathematical expressions with
> Inline cells.
>
> 3) Make certain that the notebook has all necessary initializations and
> definitions in it. As a check, quit the kernel and evaluate the notebook
in
> a fresh Mathematica session. A notebook that won't evaluate is certainly
not
> going to convey your ideas.
>
> 4) If in any doubt about style, use the Default notebook style. Use cell
> grouping and group headings to organize your notebook. For example, you
can
> put all your initialization statements in an Initialization Section. A
long
> ungrouped, i.e., unorganized, notebook is difficult to navigate or follow.
> With headings and grouping, and with the groups closed, the notebook
> presents itself in outline form and already begins to convey your ideas.
>
> 5) STAY WITH THE DEFAULT AUTOMATIC GROUPING. I've seen many notebooks with
> manual grouping. Without any exception whatever they were all perfectly
> dreadful. They end up as one long totally unorganized mess.
>
> 6) Stay away from special formatting, colored cells and other special
> effects. They may mean something to you but are nothing but clutter to the
> reader. (It is too bad that WRI did not include some nice pastel
Background
> colors for cells in the menu. The highly saturated colors are not
suitable.)
>
> Grouping and Organization
> Completely Evaluable
> Text Cells - Input/Output Cells - Graphics
> Get rid of all special effect clutter.
>
> David Park
> djmp at earthlink.net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/
>
>
>
>
> From: Shakti Shrivastava [mailto:shaktis at student.umass.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>
> I have been using mathematica for sometime now. However i have
> never managed to get around the problem of correctly formatting
> my documents. There is inevitable always a line formatting problem.
>
> Meaning if I type half way thru the line and without going all the way
> in the same line go on to use the next line, for eg. when i am writing
> out step-wise, the solution to a particular probelm,  then the next line
> contents inevitably gets indented. Somehow I cant seem to get them left
> align correctly. For now I painstakingly do divide cell and merge them
> back to get the correct left alignment. however I am quite sure that
> there has to be a better solution.
>
> Can someone please advise. All my homeworks and papers are written in
> mathematica. also are there any good articles on good formatting with
> Mathematica. like adding footnotes on a page, etc.
>
> Thank you in advance for help!
>
>  - Shakti Shrivastava.
>
>
>
>



  • Prev by Date: RE: line wrapping and good notebook style
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: Off by 0.00000001, Why?
  • Previous by thread: RE: line wrapping and good notebook style
  • Next by thread: Bending line