RE: word processing with mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36501] RE: [mg36474] word processing with mathematica
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 00:29:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, DrBob wrote:

> I'd be very interested in how you created these "fancy" cells.  Do you
> open a cell, push Ctrl-Shift-e, type in all that text, then push
> Ctrl-Shift-e again?

Surely you have grossly overestimated my expertise with Mathematica
typesetting language syntax. :-)

Here is the walkthrough for creating each sample cell.

Example 1:

1) Set down a cell insertion point in your notebook.

2) Hit the Space bar to create a new cell.

3) Click on the cell's bracket.

4) Click on the front end menu command sequence:

Format -> Cell Style -> DisplayFormula

5) Click on the front end menu command sequence:

Cell -> Display As -> TraditionalForm

6) Click on the front end menu command:

Format -> Option Inspector...

7) Make sure that the Option Inspector scope indicator is set to
"selection".

8) Enter the name of the option ShowAutoStyles into the search field and
press the Lookup button.

9) Change the value of the option ShowAutoStyles from True to False.  This
prevents the front end from showing the left brace with the umatched
syntax coloring.

10) Look up the option SpanMaxSize as was done in step (8).

11) Change the value of this option to Infinity.

12) Close the Option Inspector dialog.

13) Click within the cell you just created to create an editor caret.

14) Type in the text

	f(x) = {

15) Hit Ctrl-, to set down a GridBox[] with one row and two columns.

16) Hit Ctrl-Enter three times to add three more row, making the GridBox[]
4 x 2.

17) Enter in the function branch definitions in the left column, and the
domains of definition in the right column.  You can use the Tab key to
navigate between grid elements.

Example 2:

1) Repeat Steps (1) - (11) in Example 1.

2) With the cell bracket still selected, look up the option named
ColumnAlignments.  Change it from {Center} to {"="}.

3) Close the Option Inspector dialog.

4) Click within the cell you just created to create an editor caret.

5) Hit Ctrl-Enter once to create a GridBox with two rows and one column.

6) Enter in the equations, with one equation per grid element.

I used the front end menu command Edit -> Copy As -> Cell Expression to
get the underlying expressions.

Hope that demystifies the procedure for you.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.