  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36522] Export vs. Put; Import vs. Get
  • From: Mike <mikeh1980 at optusnet.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:27:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm curious about the different efficiencies of Export vs. Put; Import vs.
Get.

Eg. Saving a list called "c" with approx. 16,000 elements, each element
being a three element list of reals.

Export["ac.dat",c] takes forever and consumes heaps of kernel memory

c>>ac.dat all done in an instant (relatively speaking) and without the
transient burst of kernel memory usage.

Ditto Import and Get. Can anyone explain this?

Mike