Re: Choosing between Mathematica for Windows and Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg36763] Re: Choosing between Mathematica for Windows and Linux
  • From: Rolf Mertig <rolf at mertig.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 01:34:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hoi,
it depends a bit what you want to do.
E.g.:  If you want to write applications for clients then go with that
systems your clients use (probably Windows).
If you just use it for yourself, for development: use what you like more.
As for stability: the 4.2 Linux FE ist very stable, there are no crashes
anymore, like
there were in 3.0 times.
The copy and paste problems are gone if you switch off the KDE Klipper.

On the other hand, there are a few OS- (or better Window-manager-specific)
limitations of Linux:
1.: you cannot rotate text (i.e., FrameLabel settings will look weird
(vertically arranged
     horizontal letters), you have to use
     RotateLabel -> False generally, or play with the Fonts settings
such that horizontal
     tick marks still fit)

2.: If you work with bigger graphics in notebooks I suggest Windows (or
MacOS X) since
     scrolling through larger notebooks is noticably slower on Linux (at
least on my XFree 4.2
     installation with a not too modern graphics card).
     Also I find resizing of larger notebooks somewhat slow.

3.: If you like to work with keyboard shortcuts: Windows is better, clearly.

4.: There are a couple of Font issues which are better on Windows since
not all fonts
      (like some Helvetica) are available for free on Linux.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to email me   (in het
engels, nederlands, duits of spaans)

Rolf Mertig

Mertig Consulting
Berlin