Re: Parallel Kit Question: ParallelDot is much more slow than Dot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40429] Re: Parallel Kit Question: ParallelDot is much more slow than Dot
  • From: nafod40 <may106 at SPAMAWAY.psu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 03:58:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jens-Peer Kuska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> parallel commands are usualy slower than serial ones,
> because you have the overhead for process communication.

Have you used the Parallel Toolkit? My experience shows there are some
gross inefficiencies in their implementation of the ParallelMap[ ]
functions.

In general, the toolkit is useful if you can decompose your problem
coarsely. Don't use the ParallelMap[ ] function or similar, develop yuor
own analogs based on RemoteEvaluate[ ].