Re: Re: Weird Problem on an old Macintosh

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40724] Re: [mg40713] Re: Weird Problem on an old Macintosh
  • From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 03:58:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

on 04/14/03 4:06 AM, Technicians at jeffa at NOSPAM.chem.usyd.edu.au wrote:

> Eric, your suggestion about contacting Wolfram. I've never heard of this
> kind of service before. Every software supplier I've ever dealt with
> don't want to know you once you've parted the old hard earned.

And they may well not accommodate you, if there are no remaining copies on
actual floppies.  Handing out disk images might be seen as risky from a
piracy point of view.  However, given that it's such an old version we're
talking about you might be able to get a tech support person to advocate
that it's good customer relations that may lead to a future sale.
Personally, I think the danger of that old a version being pirated is pretty
minimal -- most folks w/ Macs that old already have all the software they're
ever likely to be interested in.

Now this is likely headed in too much of an off-topic direction, but I'm not
clear whether someone could legally provide you with media for an old
version that they've since upgraded, given the special nature of this case.
Perhaps someone from Wolfram could address this once, so it'll be in the
archives...  (Actually, it would be nice if there were a way to return old
media to a clearinghouse, mostly for the purpose of donation to
underprivileged schools, etc.)

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)

The odds are greatly against you being immensely smarter than everyone
else in the field. If your analysis says your terminal velocity is
twice the speed of light, you may have invented warp drive, but the
chances are a lot better that you've screwed up.