Re: Mixed derivative button on basic input palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40737] Re: Mixed derivative button on basic input palette
  • From: wself at msubillings.edu (Will Self)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 04:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks one and all.  I'm not a palette guy really.  Actually I'm sort
of a Mathematica 2 guy.  But my students like the palettes.

Observe that this behavior is identical with that of the one-variable
derivative button on the palette, for example, if you use the palette
button to do the derivative of x^2Sin[x], you get the wrong answer
unless you remember the parentheses.  Remembering the parentheses
strikes me as a lot harder to do than just typing in the D notation.
It is remarkable that there is no visual clue (such as a pink window)
to show that the cursor is no longer in the input box generated by the
palette.

Furthermore, the behavior is *not* consistent with the way the
summation button works.  There, you can enter the sum as x goes from 1
to 3 of x^2Sin[x], and it comes out right; no need for parentheses.

It seems like a fiendish design to mislead poor students.

Will

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net