Re: Scientific drawing tools?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40763] Re: Scientific drawing tools?
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 01:38:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 4/15/03 at 3:57 AM, weh at snafu.de (Dr. Wolfgang Hintze) wrote:

>Is there a simple way to electronically produce a scientific drawing
>similar to what I can do on paper by hand in order to explain
>something, e.g. a geometrical situation?

Using Mathematica, it is possible to create such drawings but I would not consider the process simple. Mathematica routines are not really designed for interactive drawing but can be adapted.

>This question goes not only for mathematica but is more general. Most
>of the time I use the limited drawing capabilities of Microsoft
>Office. (Try to draw an arc and call it alpha). Or do I do it on
>paper, scan it and import it?

For extremely simple drawings, using Mathematica is probably as quick and easy as using Microsoft Office. For somewhat more complex but still simple drawings, Microsoft Office will be better. But there neither Microsoft Office nor Mathematica is really a good substitute for a software package specifically designed for this task.