RE: slant lines (and pasted forms of Mathematica expressions)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40998] RE: [mg40994] slant lines (and pasted forms of Mathematica expressions)
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 02:29:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

C B,

That is (incomplete) the ASCII text form for designating box structures in
Mathematica. The actual form would be more like the following...

\!\(\[ExponentialE]\^\(x\^2 - y\^2\)\)

If you copy that and paste it into a Mathematica notebook it should give you
the expression with all the superscripts in the proper positions.

In the normal use of Mathematica you should never have to type or deal with
such expressions. Rather, you can enter the box structures directly using
key patterns such as Ctrl ^ to go to the superscript position etc. Or you
can use the BasicInput Palette. For more explanation see Section 1.1.7
Mathematical Notation in Notebooks and Section 1.10 Input and Output in
Notebooks in The Mathematica Book.

When people post to MathGroup they sometimes copy an expression from a
Mathematica notebook and then paste into the email. That is where the text
form of box forms arises and why you see them in MathGroup.

To obtain more readable postings or email, put the cursor in the cell and
convert to InputForm. You can do this by pressing Shift Ctrl I. Then copy
and paste the resulting expression. For example, the expression above will
then become

E^(x^2 - y^2)

The cell can be coverted back by using Shift Ctrl N. Sometimes I make a copy
of the original cell and convert it to InputForm so that I don't lose
spacings and line returns.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/