5.0 Help Browser: praise and complaints

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42898] 5.0 Help Browser: praise and complaints
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 01:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The look of the 5.0 Help Browser is very nice, particularly with
respect to the redesigned style sheet. (Nice job, designers.)

However, we Mac OS X folks have really gotten the short end of the
stick due to the highly unfortunate decision by WRI to use the
moderately unfortunate OS X file browser instead of the tabs that are
apparently used in other platforms. Having to use the horizontal scroll
bar to navigate around is a real anti-intuitive pain. Let's hope this
decision is reversed in the next version.

Also, the organization of the AddOns & Links section, with
advertisements at the top and the user's applications way down below,
is rather crass, I think. I quickly changed that by editing the
relevant BrowserCategories file so that the things I use are visible
without scrolling down. (To anyone interested in how to do that, I'll
be glad to give you the details.)

-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis