Re: Page preview in Mathematica ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42895] Re: [mg42824] Page preview in Mathematica ?
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 01:26:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Print preview should certainly be near the top of any wish list. (But
if you're fortunate enough to have a Mac w/OS X, printing to PDF is
almost as good.)

To any such wish list I'd also add, in no particular order:

* antialiasing of graphics!!
* flexible top/bottom cell margins
* serious undo functionality
* real unicode support (on the Mac anyway)
* better find/replace (e.g., replace all in selection)
* robust import of eps and pdf graphics
* less need for tweaking to make expressions look right; namely:
      ** better typesetting of fractions (size should not be connected
to sub/superscript multiplier)
      ** more consistent and reliable placement of sub/superscripts
      ** more consistent and reliable spacing
      ** more consistent and reliable sizing of summation and integral
signs
* kerning support

Some of this may be due to my own ignorance; I'll be happy to learn
that's true. (Except for the antialiasing issue---that's not up for
debate. The antiantialiasing luddites lost long ago.)

-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis