Re: New options in 5.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42959] Re: [mg42938] New options in 5.0
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 03:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Yes, the Saveable option definitely should be used with caution. But
it's a wonderful option to use in slide shows or with NotebookCreate
when you don't want the user to have to bother with the Save Changes
dialog.

It's interesting to note that if you set Saveable->False at the
notebook level via the Options Inspector, then next time you open the
notebook, it will be back to True, since the change won't be saved. The
only way to make it permanent is to open the notebook with a text
editor and type it in.

I agree with you about NotebookAutoSave. Besides the unreliability you
mentioned: unless you're doing some very long calculations, who wants
to get bogged down saving a notebook after every output? It's certainly
not an acceptable option if you're working on a large document with a
lot of graphics. It would be very nice to have some way of
automatically creating a backup file periodically, hopefully with the
option *not* to include output and/or graphics cells.

-----
Selwyn Hollis
http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis