Re: Mathematica 5.0: small change in fundamental behaviour.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43077] Re: Mathematica 5.0: small change in fundamental behaviour.
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:15:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bern,

If you want to make definitions like the one you posted, simply change the
attribute of Subscript to HoldFirst. Specifically, do

SetAttributes[Subscript, HoldFirst]

and then the recursion problem will go away. In fact, I think that the
default attributes for Subscript should have included HoldFirst, as it is
highly unlikely that anybody uses Subscript in such a way that they want to
evaluate the first argument.

Carl Woll
Physics Dept
U of Washington