von Neumann entropy

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43129] von Neumann entropy
  • From: Chad Junkermeier <cej38 at email.byu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:49:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathgroup,

I have been trying to use Mathematica to compute the von Neumann entropy
of a density matrix and have run into trouble with telling Mathematica
to use a particular definition in the calculation.

The von Neumann entropy is defined as

S =  -Tr [ rho Ln (rho)],

where rho is a square matrix.  The problem is how to handle the case
when and element of the matrix rho is zero.  I want to tell Mathematica
to assume that

0 * Ln(0) = 0

when it is computing the entropy.  How do I tell it to make that
assumption?

Thanks,
Chad