Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43113] Re: [mg43106] X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
  • From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:49:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

on 08/12/03 4:43 AM, Lot-o-fun at lotofun at hotmail.com wrote:

> I have Mathematica 5.0 installed on Mac OS X from a CD.  I know I can
> ssh to my machine and run Mathematica on the command-line using
> /Applications/Mathematica\ 5.0.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel.  If the
> machine I'm ssh-ing from has X-windows capability and I use
> X-forwarding when I ssh, is it possible to have Mathematica display
> graphics?  I poked a little around the documentation and various files,
> and it seems that to do this I need SystemFiles/Graphics/Motif.m and/or
> SystemFiles/Graphics/X11.m and motifps and probably more, none of which
> comes with the standard OS X distribution.  I have Apple's X11
> installed on the Mac OS X machine.  Any ideas about how I can do this?

Seems as if what you really want is an X11 front end.  Then you do as
'normal', i.e., fire up the local front end and have it talk to the kernel
on the Mac.  Unless you're really wanting the Mac to be sending the
window/graphics info, i.e. run an X11 front end on the Mac but have it
display on the other machine.  In that case, I'm completely clueless (though
my guess is that it can't be done that way).

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst at NOSPAM^mailaps.org)

Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is
one more  than the number you have currently done. This is true at any
point in time.