X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43106] X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
  • From: Lot-o-fun <lotofun at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 04:43:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have Mathematica 5.0 installed on Mac OS X from a CD.  I know I can
ssh to my machine and run Mathematica on the command-line using
/Applications/Mathematica\ 5.0.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel.  If the
machine I'm ssh-ing from has X-windows capability and I use
X-forwarding when I ssh, is it possible to have Mathematica display
graphics?  I poked a little around the documentation and various files,
and it seems that to do this I need SystemFiles/Graphics/Motif.m and/or
SystemFiles/Graphics/X11.m and motifps and probably more, none of which
comes with the standard OS X distribution.  I have Apple's X11
installed on the Mac OS X machine.  Any ideas about how I can do this?

TIA,
Lotofun