Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43247] Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine
  • From: Lot-o-fun <lotofun61 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:08:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <bhi5bc$hl5$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Eric L. Strobel
<fyzycyst at comcast.net> wrote:

> What you describe is pretty much *exactly* what a front end does.  So, you'd
> be using an X11 front end on whatever box you're on and it would connect to
> a kernel running on the Mac.  (Note: no need to have an X11 front end
> running on the Mac, although such a thing is at least theoretically possible
> given that Apple has released an X11 for OS X.)

There are several good reasons to have the setup I described (running
Mathematica remotely on the command line using ssh, displaying graphics
locally via X11).  Here's one: I wouldn't need to install a Mathematica
front end on the local machine to run Mathematica remotely, only X11.
Since X11 and ssh are widely available, this would expand my ability to
run Mathematica while not sitting in my office.

-Lotofun