Numerical Integration of Large Expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43311] Numerical Integration of Large Expression
  • From: reallymadsquid at hotmail.com (Musaddiq Awan)
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:55:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to use Rayleigh-Schrodinger Perturbation theory to modify
the harmonic oscillator. The wavefunctions are a product of the
Hermite polynomials and an exponential function. I can integrate the
2nd order approximation up to n = 8. When I try to integrate for n = 9
the computer does not return a result. The Hermite Polynomial at n = 9
is as follows

30240 x - 80640 x^3  + 48384 x^5  - 9216 x^7  + 512 x^9.
I am integrating this times an exponential the whole quantity squared.
Is there any suggestion on how to integrate this efficiently with a
computer. I was initially planning to go up to n = 50, and still hope
to achieve that possibility. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Musaddiq Awan