How to stop a kerne calculationl without stopping the frontend

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44860] How to stop a kerne calculationl without stopping the frontend
  • From: "mandarino" <pams at wwwsrv1.cepus.net>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 03:04:16 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I know you can stop a running calculation by alt+. for example, but that
does not always work (on my PC-XP platform), and when I stop the kernel with
e.g. XP-eventhandler , the front end ALSO terminates (without letting me
save my notebook), is there some alternative way to stop an incommunicado
kernel?
That is: without also closing down the frontend.

Peter W