MathGroup Archive 2003

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: How to stop a kerne calculationl without stopping the frontend

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44924] Re: How to stop a kerne calculationl without stopping the frontend
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 03:32:36 -0500 (EST)
  • References: <br19kp$7r9$1@smc.vnet.net>
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

OK, combining your information with the earlier advice, I haven't
found a way to enter the new shell command that works. The Kernel
doesn't start.

There's a box for arguments to MLOpen (-LinkMode Launch -LinkName
"MathKernel -mathlink"), a box for a shell command to launch the
kernel (blank by default), and two check boxes. One says "Translate
Return into Newline", and one says "Raw MathLink Connection". Both are
deselected by default.

Where does "start /LOW MathKernel.exe" go?

Bobby

Bill Rowe <readnewscix at mail.earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<br19kp$7r9$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> On 12/7/03 at 6:03 AM, drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat) wrote:
> 
> > I don't USE a command to connect to the Mathematica kernel, and I
> > don't use MathLink.
> 
> Are you sure of this? If I interpret your remark as meaning you don't explicitly issue a command to connect to the Mathematica kernel, then I understand. But I believe you will find the connection to the kernel is via MathLink and is started via a command.
> 
> For example with Mathematica 5.0 running on MacOS 10.3.1 selecting Configuration Options under the Kernel menu brings up a window allowing me to select a kernel. Selecting the local kernel and clicking on edit brings up another window. In this window I can select Advanced Options where I find command line options used to establish a MathLink connection to the kernel.
> 
> So, even though I don't explicitly issue commands to connect to the kernel, it is being started via a command and is a MathLink connection. I believe you will find a similar situation under Windows.
> 
> Under MacOS X, I could quit the kernel by issuing a kill command from the Terminal. Possibly something similar could be done from the Windows Task Manager. Note, using system level commands to quit the kernel independent of Mathematica's front end may not be at all desireable.

• Prev by Date: Re: question Mathematica 5 "Print to the same line"
  • Next by Date: Re: Programming Probability of puzzle in Mathematica
  • Previous by thread: Re: How to stop a kerne calculationl without stopping the frontend
  • Next by thread: Re: How to stop a kerne calculationl without stopping the frontend