Re: DSolve Not Working

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44947] Re: DSolve Not Working
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 04:01:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/9/03 at 3:32 AM, spamguy at NOSPAM.foxchange.NOSPAM.com (Will Oram) wrote:

> I'm using Mathematica 5; DSolve[] never works. I am literally copying from
> its own documentation, and it still spits out failures. For example:

> In: DSolve[y''[x]==ay'[x]+y[x],y,x]
>   DSolve::dvnoarg: The function y appears with no arguments
> Out: DSolve[y''[x]==(ay)/x+y[x],y,x]

This isn't quite the problem the documentation gives. There should be a space between a and y'. However, either with the space or without the space DSolve gives me an answer in Mathematica 5.0. Does DSolve fail as you outlined when this is the first thing done in a newly started session? If yes, then it would seem there is something wrong with your Mathematica installation. If no, then there must be something else in your notebook preventing DSolve from working correctly in this example.
--
To reply via email subtract one hundred and nine