Out of Memory under AIX (Mathematica 5)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45058] Out of Memory under AIX (Mathematica 5)
  • From: Holger Meinhardt <hme at vwl3.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:02:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I do a lot of computation that needs a huge amount
of physical memory. In the past, I tried to use
for such computation an IBM RS/6000 SP with Mathematica
Version 4.2 under AIX 4.3. But due to the fact that
the version 4.2 was just a 32-bit system I could not
pass the threshold of 2 gigabytes. Recently, the RS/6000 SP
was upgraded to AIX 5.1 and the Mathematica version 5.0
was installed. Under AIX the new Mathematica version is
a 64-bit system and I expect that I could pass the 2 gigabytes
threshold without problems. Nevertheless, according to my
monitor program Mathematica produces an Out of Memory message
for every run I tried at about 1.85 gigabytes. Since the system
provides more than enough physical memory the load of system
could not cause this message. The values I can set with
ulimit are listed below. The value for the stack size is the
upper bound I can set under AIX 5.1. Have anyone a suggestion
how to overcome this problem.

bash-2.05a$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 1048575
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 2000
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 64
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 2064384
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 256
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited

Holger Meinhardt
Institute for Statistics and
Economic Theory
University of Karlsruhe