Re: boundary condition for NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45081] Re: [mg45036] boundary condition for NDSolve
  • From: CAP F <Ferdinand.Cap at eunet.at>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:21:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Yama Masu wrote:

> Hi, Ferdinand.
>
> Thanks for quick and useful response. Let me ask you something more.
>
> > 2.)Your membrane pde is of elliptic type. Then theory says that for
> > elliptic pde ONLY ONE   boundary can be given except you place a
> > singularity within  the  center of the inner boundary domain.
>
> Well, could you tell me the more detail. Physically, it is possible to
> make a membrane between two squares and it is also possible to have it
> vibrate. The boundary condition can be more than two.
 Hi, Masu
The problem is that NDSolve cannot solve problems with 2 different
boundary conditions for an elliptic pde. Sure, it is however possible to
solve such problems using other numerical methods, like boundary element
method, finite element method, collocation methods.
> >3.)Your problem has been solved and published, see below:
> >page 263, chapter 5.2, "Boundary problems with two closed boundaries"
>
> Thank you. I read this. But this sample does not use NDSolve.
You are correct. My example did not use NDSolve. Since I told you that
NDSolve cannot work for 2 boundaries, I just wanted to give you an
example     how to use collocation methods to solve such problems. More
details are in my book
> >1.)NDSolve is not well suited to solve part de. It can do this   for
> >very few pde.
>
> Combined with 3), can I understand that it is impossible to impose
> two boundary condition in NDSolve?
Yes, you may assume that it is impossible to impose
 two boundary conditions in NDSolve !!
To solve the problem you may use either :
1)numerical integration using finite differences or finite elements or
collocation methods
2) assume a closed expression with many unknown parameters and include a
singularity in the center of the inner domain. Since Cartesian solution
of the membrane equation has singularities only in the infinity point,
it may be usefull
to solve the problem in polar coordinates and write up a Bessel function
solution, see the example in codes 44,45,46, and 47. Due to the Bessel
function Y one then has a singularity at the origin and  one may use
outer collocation methods.
Your problem is interesting and I will try to have time and solve it.
May be you hear from me within several days. Greetings to your wonderful
country  (I have been there as Guestprofessor in Sendai, Kyoto and
congress in Tokyo.) Regards.