RE: Transpose matrix does not work when MatrixForm is used, why?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45182] RE: [mg45177] Transpose matrix does not work when MatrixForm is used, why?
  • From: "Owen, HL (Hywel)" <H.L.Owen at dl.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:55:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MatrixForm changes the list into a form suitable for displaying graphically.
In other words, MatrixForm[m] is not the same 'thing' as m.
m is a matrix, MatrixForm[m] is an object for displaying.

You should instead do:

m = { {1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6} }
m//MatrixForm to display it

Transpose[m]
Transpose[m]//MatrixForm to display the Transpose

There's no other way around it.