Re: Transpose matrix does not work when MatrixForm is used, why?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45221] Re: Transpose matrix does not work when MatrixForm is used, why?
  • From: drbob at bigfoot.com (Bobby R. Treat)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:42:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here's a "fix" -- add it to your Init.nb file:

Unprotect[Transpose ];
Transpose[MatrixForm[a_]] := MatrixForm[Transpose[a]]
Protect[Transpose];

Then this will probably do what you want:

m = { {1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6} } // MatrixForm
m // Transpose

A more complete solution would do the same for other matrix functions.

Bobby