- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg39323] Re: Simplify[Abs[x],x<0]]
- From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
- Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:42:08 -0500 (EST)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
"Uri Zwick" <zwick at cs.tau.ac.il> wrote in message
news:b27fp8$na4$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Simplify[ Abs[x] , x>0 ] returns x.
> But, Simplify[ Abs[x] , x<0] returns Abs[x], and not -x.
> Why is that?
Mathematica considers Abs[x] to be less complex than -x:
So we have to tell it what our measure of complexity is:
Mathematica Training and Consulting
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565
Prev by Date:
Re: Large lists problem...
Next by Date:
Re: I need some help about this error
Previous by thread:
Next by thread: