Re: Algebra of differential operators

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg39391] Re: Algebra of differential operators
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:58:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <b1t521$8ql$1 at>,
 Paolo Zavarise <paolozavarise at> wrote:

> What's the best way (simple, general and without dummy functions) to define
> in mathematica 4.2 a differential operator?
> For example, how can I evaluate laplacian operator in spherical coordinates
> ? (without using ad-hoc packages...

What do you mean by "ad-hoc packages..."?

> i want to enter expression of d/dx, d/dy, d/dz and mathematica must
> compute (d/dx)^2+(d/dy)^2+(d/dz)^2)

you'll find one approach.

For a more general and powerful approach there is the Differential Forms
package by Frank Zizza at and the
Symbolic Vector Analysis package by Hong Qin at

> How can i evaluate powers,product etc... of operators ?

Dan Lichtblau has posted a number of messages to MathGroup on this
topic. See also The Mathematica Journal 8(1).